Injustice for All

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

And now for something completely different....

Sorry, was watching a lot of Monty Python yesterday.

Well, I know you all have been horribly depressed awaiting the release of my annual top ten records list.
Cry no more.
Here it be.


I will also preface by saying that I know there were plenty of fine records released this year that did not make my list. Because I limit my list to only those records (yep, I'm going to continue to call them "records" even tho they are, technically, CDs) to those I've PURCHASED and as a law student I have little to no $$ for mass purchasing, this represents only those records I loved enough to buy or someone forced down my throat and I ended up embracing like a favorite son.
Agree...don't agree...but if you go to Amoeba to stock up on any of these, please drop some ducats into the Tsunami Relief fund. Amoeba will supposedly match all funds collected and send them on.
Or you can donate to CARE directly through the Amoeba website at:
http://www.amoebamusic.com/html/

Now...on with the list. In no order other than how I thought to write them down:
1. Patty Griffin - IMPOSSIBLE DREAM
While not as strong as prior Patty records (in my opinion), there is some wonderful diversity on this one and a couple of trademark Patty songs to send you into tears. Bonus track of Ma and Pa Griffin singing "Impossible Dream" which is too cute for words.

2. Loretta Lynn - VAN LEAR ROSE
Loretta has a voice like no other. I grew up listening to her duets with Conway Twitty, but this here record is a whole different dance hall for sweet Loretta. Jack White has added some lovely geetar and grit-rock touches that give a little dogged rust to the old gal's gorgeous candy country vocals.

3. Cary Brothers - ALL THE RAGE
Cary is a friend, first. Sometimes friends make terrible records. Sometimes they make amazing ones. This is one of those amazing times (thankfully). When Cary gave me this over the summer, I literally played it on "endless" loop for 6 straight days. And it's only 4 songs. The deep production and swirling guitars are icing on the already lovely lyrical cake.

4. Various/Soundtrack - GARDEN STATE
Ok...so Cary is on this, too. And I first listened because he's friends with Zach and told me the soundtrack was too too awesome. And you know what? It is. Most of the songs are available elsewhere, but this soundtrack is like a truly brilliant mix tape your best friend made for you before you went on a cross-country trip. I recommend it for the elliptical trainer at the gym. Perfect timing.

5. Iron & Wine - OUR ENDLESS NUMBERED DAYS
You may be seeing a pattern here. I heard this man on the Garden State
soundtrack doing a cover of the Postal Service. And it was beautiful. And hauntingly lovely. And I had to know more. The entire record is just as gorgeous. Sam Beam sings softly and darkly and at times, reminds me of a fitter, happier Nick Drake.

6. Grant Lee Phillips - VIRGINIA CREEPER
I saw Grant play a song at Bring the Rock and I knew I needed to go buy this record. I've loved Grant's voice since Grant Lee Buffalo, but hadn't picked up any solo work. Never hurts that I hear him often in combination with Sam Phillips on the Gilmore Girls. Just a sweet and sparkly record.

7. Tom Waits - REAL GONE

Tom does it again. I own everything he's ever done. I'm still a sucker for albums like Raindogs and Frank's Wild Years, but I am continually amazed at what Tom continues to come up with. Interesting, weird, complicated, brilliant, stunning.

8. Terry Reid -
SUPER LUNGS: THE COMPLETE STUDIO RECORDINGS
My friend, Nick, discovered this guy on the loudspeakers of a NYC record store. He aptly described him as equal parts Nina Simone and Pet Sounds-era Beach Boys. Or if he didn't describe it that way, he should have. His cover of Nancy Sinatra's "Bang Bang My Baby Shot Me Down" should be the theme song for something. Get on that, people! And, apparently, this cat still shows up at The Mint and plays a set occasionally. Unsung and unstrung hero.

9. Jesse Sykes & the Sweet Hereafter -- OH MY GIRL
Basically, my new Mazzy Star. This record is shoegazing country with Jesse's incredible voice rising through the lush and jangly soundscapes. It's perfect for driving around in all this rain we've been having.

10. The Postal Service - GIVE UP
Being a fan of Death Cab for Cutie meant I had to buy this the day it came out. I got tired of it more quickly than I wanted to...but every time I pop it back in, I really like it. It's a solid cd...and the idea that Ben & Jimmy will be shilling for the USPS at some point thanks to a Trademark settlement is just too funny.

Bonus Track:
11. William Shatner - HASBEEN
Yep. You read that correctly. That says "William Shatner." And to be honest, I don't own this record. I just heard a bunch of stuff off of it and was literally blown away. It's partially thanks to Ben Folds who plays behind Shatner's wordjazz (Bill actually reminds me of Ken Nordine on this record quite a bit!). Track guests include Aimee Mann, Joe Jackson, Brad Paisley, Lemon Jelly and Henry Rollins. The track, "What Have you Done" literally made me cry. Get this record. NOW.

And that, my friends, is my 2004 listening devices.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home